Sterile Processing Tech (Full-Time) - E
The position is responsible for cleaning, packaging, sterilizing and stores the supplies, instruments and equipment.
Demonstrated understanding of sterilization principles required
Experience in central processing functions preferred
Constant and frequent judgment and response required
Category I exposure to bloodborne pathogens, frequent exposure to chemical hazards and may encounter radiation hazards.
- Adheres to the sterilization process policies and procedures.
- Cleans each item according to manufacturers’ instruction.
- Inspects instruments under microscope for damage and defects; lubricates items as required.
- Determines that each item is in good working condition.
- Sorts and arranges items into proper trays according to established policy and procedure.
- Wraps trays and individual items according to established policy and procedure.
- Accurately labels each item with name and expiration date.
- Correctly operates sterilizers, ultrasonic washer and other equipment for processing items.
- Positions items correctly in sterilizer and selects proper cycle; seeks assistance when needed.
- Checks indicators for proper functioning.
- Performs required biological monitoring tests on all sterilizers according to established policy and procedures.
- Maintains availability of supplies for continuity or recording throughout sterilization process.
- Cleans sterilizers according to established polices and procedures.
- Maintains inventory levels and accurate records.
- Performs weekly inspections of all sterile items in the facility.
- Checks for outdated items and package integrity of wrapped sterilized items; replaces items as necessary.
- Places items in correct location.
- Maintains adequate inventory of supplies for the sterile processing area.
- Maintains and updates the instrument ray inventory list.
- Maintains current information regarding routine preference cards.
- Accurately document count of items sent to and returned by laundry.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job the employee is frequently required to sit, converse, and listen; use hands to touch, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls; and to reach with hands and arms. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
The employee must be able to lift and/or carry over 20 pounds on a regular basis and be able to push/pull over 25 pounds on a regular basis.
The employee must be able to stand and/or walk at least 5 hours per day.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions