Inpatient Nurse (PRN)
To act as patient advocate, providing continuity of care designed to meet individual patient needs through collaboration with other members of the health care team. Supports the philosophy, objectives and goals. The Staff nurse will assess the needs of individual patients including but not limited to adult, pediatric, adolescent, and geriatric patients.
The staff nurse shall also be responsible in providing staffing to the hospital’s emergency treatment room and as such shall be able to demonstrate skills in emergency care to meet the emergency procedures anticipated by the hospital.
Reports To: Clinical Director
Supervises: Nurse’s aide and/or LVN’s
Licensure as a Registered Nurse in the State of Texas
Demonstrates ability to stand and/or walk at five hours per day.
Demonstrates ability to lift and/or carry over 20 pounds on a regular basis.
Demonstrates ability to push/pullover 25 pounds on a regular basis.
Current BLS Certification
Current ACLS Certification
Current PALS Certification
Category I exposure to blood borne pathogens, frequent exposure to chemical hazards and may encounter radiation hazards.
1. Performs assessment/data collection in an ongoing and systematic manner, focusing on physiologic, psychologic and cognitive status.
2. Formulates a goal directed plan of care, which is prioritized and based on determined nursing diagnosis and patient outcomes.
3. Implements care in a knowledgeable, skilled, consistent manner in reaching the desired patient outcomes through nursing processes.
4. Establish priorities of patient care based on essential patient needs and available center resources of time, personnel, equipment and supplies.
5. Performs efficiently in emergency patient situations following established protocols, remaining calm, informing appropriate persons and documenting events.
6. Demonstrates applied knowledge base in areas of medical/ surgical patient care, actions of pharmaceuticals and anesthetic agents, laboratory values, safety and legal issues and all emergency equipment.
7. Practices effective problem identification and resolution skills as a method of sound decision making.
1. Performs documentation duties on the floor and in the patient record, which is timely, accurate and concise.
2. Works as part of a team in delivering patient care.
3. Maintains CPR/ACLS certification.
4. Attends all mandatory inservices and participates in staff meetings.
5. Remains flexible, adaptive and able to accept and implement new ideas and approaches.
6. Treats all patients equally adopting the centers Patient Rights policy.
7. Reviews and carries out physician orders in an appropriate professional manner.
8. Counts narcotics with another nurse and replenish supply as necessary. Adheres to the facility’s medication management protocols.
9. Upon admission to the unit, shall conduct initial nursing assessment for special dietary needs.
9.1 Can demonstrate understanding of requirements to assess for nutritional needs and time requirements to complete assessment.
10. Is knowledgeable about and responsive to emergency situations, i.e. cardiac arrest, drug reaction, fire, disaster etc.
11. Reports and completes appropriate forms for incidents related to patients, visitors, and employees.
12. Readies the area to receive patients.
13. Willingness to assist with other duties when asked.