Medical Billing Specialist (FT)
Responsible for preparing, reviewing, and transmitting claims timely and accurately using billing software, including electronic and paper claims.
Reports: Business Office Director
High School graduate required
Four years of medical facility or medical business office experience preferred
Experience in customer relations or teaching preferred
Experience in third party payer requirements preferred
Automated billing systems experience required
Training/experience in business office activities preferred
Requires language skills adequate for effective written and interpersonal communication in American English.
Require visual and auditory acuity adequate for frequent use of computers and occasional use of other business office equipment.
Category III exposure to bloodborne pathogens may encounter chemical hazards.
- Communication Responsibilities to include, but not limited to:
- Provides documentation to patients and business office staff.
- Answers patient and family member questions and refers questions to healthcare professionals when appropriate.
- Communicates pertinent information from the physician, support staff, insurance companies and other significant parties to the patient.
- Reports regularly to the Business Office Director about the status of current projects orworkflow
- Bills and follows-up with patients for services received in accordance to Facility Policy andProcedures
- Maintains current information on claims adjudication and payment policies on all encountered third party payers and government intermediaries.
- Maintains current information on correct and lawful practices in billing.
- Monitors accounts receivable to identify billing errors, coding errors, and timely rebilling.
- Provides management reports to the Business Office Director on a weekly basis per protocol, identifying all trends and/or issues.
- Maintain timely billing of all claims.
- Accurately enter all billing information on a daily basis to ensure timely filing of all claims.
- Timely release of claims from clearinghouse, ensuring accuracy of all submitted information to payers.
- Work in conjunction with other departments within the facility to ensure accurate timely billing.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job the employee is frequently required to sit, converse, and listen; use hands to touch, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; and to reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to walk. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is typical of an office environment and, as such, is considered moderate.